Monday, March 7, 2011

Card of the Week

The 1980 Topps issue is not a eye catching set for me. It is not that it's a bad design. On it's own it is a solid release, contains a major rookie in Ricky Henderson and stylistically is a large improvement over the 1979 issue. My major critisim is it's a rehash of the 1974 design, and one that took place to soon. If Topps had waited longer than six years to recycle the design, I might like the cards more, lets say 2002 but without the gold borders and gold foil stamping.

1980 Topps #356
However, what this paricular card lacks in design, it more than makes up for in content pictured. I redeemed this card a few weeks ago from the Topps Diamond site and have to say it is one of my favorite cards from the promotion so far. How often do you see a baseball team posing in front of elephants at the zoo? Even though this card is a common it will have a place in my Topps binder later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment