Friday, March 4, 2011

Trade with Plaschke Thy Sweater is Argyle


Greg of Plaschke Thy Sweater is Argyle proposed a trade for some 2011 Topps he saw on my trade list. I checked out his want lists and also sent him some Mike Piazza and Roger Clemens cards and two 1989 Topps cards to finish his set. From reading his blog, Greg looks to be an active trader and I wasn't disappointed. He also sent a sent a bunch of 1989 Topps for my set.



The highlight of this group has to be the Dwight Gooden Turn Back the Clock 661 and Charlie Hough 345.

I'm intrigued by pitchers who become starters later into their careers. Charlie saved 22 games in 1977 for the Dodgers. He pitched in 70 games, which means he wasn't only a closer and sported a 3.33 era. By 1982 his game appearances dropped and his innings pitched rose to 228. He posted 16 wins and 13 losses for the Rangers with a respectable 3.95 era. Charlie was pretty consistent as a starter, making an All Star appearance in 1986 for the Rangers, until his numbers started to decline by 1990.

1987 Donruss Highlights Cal Ripken Jr 38

The Cal Ripken is a card I did not have. I do like the 1987 Donruss design with the black borders, more than the blue of the Highlights set. This was the last year Donruss issued Highlights as a stand alone set. After I held the card I was surprised to find the card has a glossy coating on the front. The card "highlights" the end of Cal's consecutive innings streak on September 14, 1987 when he was pulled from the game by his father, Cal Ripken Sr, then manager of the Orioles.

Greg also sent some early nineties Orioles I needed and a Cal Ripken figurine which I couldn't post here, but has a place on my shelf with Oriole bobble heads and souvenirs. Thanks for the cards Greg!




 


1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the cards and mini Cal figurine! Thanks again Jason, hope to trade again!

    ReplyDelete