Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts on 2011 Heritage


Topps Heritage went live on Wednesday, so I swung by Target on my way home from work to see if they had any on the shelves. I did not expect much, this particular Target takes a long time to receive new releases, they didn't have any 2011 Topps until two weeks after the release date. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a fresh gravity feeder of loose packs, rack packs and blasters. I decided on one blaster, I'm going to a card show this weekend in Harrisburg, Pa so I wanted to limit my spending.

The 1962 Topps issue is a classic among collectors. When you look at the set from a design perspective in relation to its time period and compare it to the other sets of the 1950's and 1960 and the 61' release, the issue was a huge departure in design from what had been previously done. The dark wood borders (these cards are commonly referred to as "woodies" in OBC circles) make the cards stand out and my favourite element is the rolled corner of the photo on the bottom right corner that reveals the players name and team.

I have been excited about the newest installment of Heritage since Topps teased the product information and was not disappointed when I opened my blaster. The contents of my blaster were pretty basic, no hits, but plenty of well executed base cards in the image of the 62' design and one New Age Performers and Flashbacks insert. I also pulled three Orioles, including the best card from the box.

This might be one of the best looking Markakis cards I have in my collection, the combination of the pose and design perfectly capture the essence of the 1962 issue.

The Babe Ruth cards are a nod to the original set.

Most of the cards from this break, including two sp's, will be up for trade once I post them to my trade list.

No comments:

Post a Comment