Saturday, May 14, 2011

Card of the Week: 1968 Ed Kirkpatrick

This card is a recent acquisition to my collection. I was in Target and picked up a repack 100 card jumbo pack issued by the Fairfield Co. Fairfield has revamped these jumbo packs. They no longer promise ten Hall Famers in each pack, but continue to offer memorabilia cards, but now at a rate of one in eight packs.The back tells you the memorabilia cards can be relic cards or autos. The packaging also tells you to look for vintage cards from the 50's, 60's and 70's. I was very skeptical of what vintage card I would find, expecting a late 1970's common, but decided to give it a shot for five dollars. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this pack. I spotted the Ed Kirkpatrick card right away in the stack. I knew the card would more than likely be a common but not a 1968 Topps, and flipping the card over revealed it was also a high number.

The condition is also not as bad as I expected. The card is slightly miscut and does have three soft corners, but no creases. This card is in better shape than most of the cards I redeemed through the Topps Million Card Giveaway last year. This pack also contained six other mid to late seventies cards and a bunch of early 80's cards. Of course, it wouldn't be a repack without a fair share of junk wax cards but it included enough vintage that I may pick up another pack sometime.

1 comment:

  1. I just picked up one of these and ended up with a 1968 common card, too. Also pulled a jersey card, along with the mid-late '70s cards that you mentioned. I think I like these better than the previous versions.

    ReplyDelete