Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Power of Value


I don't know if other collectors have this problem, but I seem to be a sucker for repacks and value packs. I have a hard time not purchasing these items when I visit one of the large retail outlets. The new revamped Fairfield jumbo packs; 100 cards for five dollars, have me hooked again with the allure of vintage cards. Sometimes, really most of the time, I find these packs to be more gratifying to open than a pack of cards from a  current release, mainly because most new releases come packaged for retail with six to eight cards per pack for around three dollars. The value packs also offer more variety, even junk wax is more variety sometimes when there is nothing else of interest in the card aisle. Last but not least, it is a lot of fun to pull a vintage card from a pack of cards.

I have found I am also not immune to the various incarnations of value products Topps now produces, including the value rack packs and especially the value boxes with Topps series one and two Heritage hobby packs. I bought my fourth box the other day. I didn't really need it. I have already completed the three card refractor set and I'm not building the Topps base, but since I'm building this years Heritage set, I tell myself I may pull a short print or two I may need. I also continue to buy these boxes under the delusion I'll redeem a star vintage card from the Topps diamond site, even though the best card I have redeemed is a common low number from 1960.

The power of adding some value, actual or perceived is a very real marketing tool that I continue to fall for, especially when I am looking to open some cards and nothing on the shelves catches my eye. Right now is one of those times. I am not interested in Bowman and Gypsy Queen has been out of sight in my area. When I'm not looking to spend much I grab these packs and boxes, the value boxes are cheaper than a blaster and has the same amount of cards and contain enough variety for the consumer to return again. I guess this is what Topps and Fairfield are counting on and what make these packages successful in places like Walmart and Target, since they can appeal to a longtime or casual collector. It looks like value packs will be my purchase of choice for the immediate future, or until Allen and Ginter is released this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment